Wednesday 20 June 2012

Clifton Park Realy For Life Walk June 8th, 2012

I don't think I can justly consider my level of participation in the Relay for Life walk back on June 8th/ June 9th as fulfilling my commitment to do a charity walk.  I ended up getting to the walk much, much later than I anticipated after going to the rehearsal dinner for my best friend's wedding which was held on the evening of the 8th.  As I was not drinking at the rehearsal dinner, I ended up being a designated driver once the dinner was over and did not get to drive up to the Clifton Park high school track until around 1 a.m. on Saturday the 9th.  While I was driving up north (about a 45 minute drive from the hotel the wedding party was staying in) I ran into a torrential downpour, that further delayed my travels.  Due to the heavy downpour, by the time I reached the event, most of the people were in their tents off the track.

My teammates had left the event around 10:30 p.m..  I was quite tired from all the days events, so I turned in the money I had raised ($125.00) which I asked them to split up among our group members.  I saw that when it was posted on the site, it was all credited to me.  My initial goal was to raise at least $100.00.  I raised most of the money at work and from my relatives, but I did not get as good a workplace response as I was hoping for because I was competing against a "pin-up campaign" for Relay for Life, that Price Chopper was doing.  That's not a bad thing though, as it's not so important who they get the donations from as it is that donations are coming in.

I did a sort of "courtesy lap" around the track, but didn't walk for any considerable amount of time seeing as I wanted to get back to the hotel by 2:00 a.m. so I could get a decent sleep before the day of the wedding.  I later read that the entire event held at the Clifton Park track had raised just under $100,000.00 dollars in donations for Cancer Research.  Our team raised a total of $145.00.. we had set our team goal at $500.00.  Even though we did not reach our goal, I was still glad that we decided to do it and am proud of the little bit we did contribute.  I know that there are other charity walks coming later in the year and I hope to be able to partake in one or more of them and give more of my time to doing the actual walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...