Monday 16 March 2015

Entertainment Monday: The Second Best Marigold Hotel ( Monday 16, March 2015)


The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is one of my favourite movies so I was delighted when a sequel was made. You can read my review on the first movie here.The movie is about six retirees who move to India to spend the rest of their days. The place they move into is the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel for the Old and Beautiful. This movie follows the characters eight months on from the end of the first movie.

source


Sonny Kapoor (Dev Patel)- The hotel manager is preparing for his wedding to Sunaina and looking to buy another hotel to accommodate more guests. He’s more preoccupied with his business which causes problems with his fiancĂ©.

Evelyn Greenslade (Judi Dench) - She gets a new job as a buyer for a textile company and has a budding romance with Ainsley. The trouble is that she is not sure she is ready to start a relationship.

Douglas Ainslie (Bill Nighy)- He is in love with Evelyn but he is aware that she’s afraid. The matter is further complicated when his estranged wife returns to India.

Norman Cousins (Ronald Pickup)- He continues his relationship with Carol Parr (Diana Hardcastle) who he met in the first movie. He is a former womanizer and misses the single life.
source

Muriel Donnelly (Maggie Smith)- She is the co-manager of the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and it is a success because of her. Everyone comes to her for advice but she has her own troubles.


Madge Hardcastle (Celia Imrie)- She came to India to find a rich man to marry and in the new movie she has two suitors.  She is delighted when they both propose marriage but doesn’t know which one to accept.

Guy Chambers (Richard Gere)- A handsome new retiree who wants to write a novel.
source
It was fun to see what happened to the characters after the first movie. Although, I think that a sequel wasn’t necessary as most of the storylines were resolved in the first movie. What I liked about the movie was the message about how life is short and to make use of opportunities presented.  The movie illustrated that life doesn’t end in old age. The characters were still growing and learning. Many of the characters were hesitant about leaving their comfort zones but did so as they knew they didn’t have much time left in the world.

I found the movie to be predictable and I think it would have been better if everything wasn’t so obvious. The movie didn’t flow as organically as the first movie and the storyline was weaker.
source
What I did like was the deeper bonds between the characters. I hope I have such good friends when I am as old as them. It also makes me wonder what my life will be life in my retiring years. I wonder who will be with me and where I will be.  I also want to go to India some day; it looks like an exotic and adventurous place to go.



The characters may be seniors but that doesn’t mean it’s just for older people. This is a fun feel good movie perfect for families with older children and for watching with friends.



2 comments:

  1. That cast alone makes this one worth a look! I've seen this one advertised here and there, but I've not seen it yet. I'll have to keep my eye out for it because this one does sounds like a fun movie. Thanks for the reminder, Carlyn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun movie, I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...