Monday 27 July 2015

Entertainment Monday: Civil Twilight (Monday July 27, 2015)


Civil Twilight is a band that hails from South Africa who got their start in 2005 but did not put out their first album until 2010 which is when I first heard of them, but they have been going strong ever since.  I love when I get to share music from bands who span the globe and I believe Civil Twilight is the first South African band I really took a liking too.    The band members are Andrew McKellar, Richard Wouters, Steven McKellar and Kevin Dailey.  One of the reasons I want to feature their music on our Entertainment Monday is because they have recently come out with a new album titled Story of an Immigrant.  Holy Dove, is a single off of Story of an Immigrant that has gotten a lot of radio play here in the Northeastern United States and Civil Twilight recently performed in the Capital Region of New York State even though I was not able to attend the show. =(

Holy Dove


My first introduction to Civil Twilight has a bit of a funny story behind it.  There were two songs I had heard from them that I absolutely loved and yet I did not know who sang them.  I THOUGHT the songs were sung by Muse.  Hopefully I don't offend any Muse fans (or Civil Twilight fans) by the comparison or by what I'm about to say... which is, that in general I don't like much of Muse's music.  Muse has been around for a long time and has a very faithful following. I was convinced that the two songs I loved from Civil Twilight were sung by Muse and I was kind of happy to find out that I actually liked some songs by Muse.  Of course... I was mistaken and eventually found out that Civil Twilight sang Letters From the Sky and River.  >.<  Haha... sorry Muse... I'm still looking for a song I really love from you!

Letters From the Sky


River is probably my favorite Civil Twilight song.  It is likely in my top 10-20 songs of all time actually, if I had to make a list.  With the sheer amount of music I listen too and music I love, that's saying something.



Another new tune from Civil Twilight that I like a lot is Fire Escape.  I think that they do a good job of mixing up their sound as their newer album has a different sound to it then their previous albums.  I like how some of their songs feature guitar and others feature the piano. 


If any of our readers ever have a band that they really love and wish to share that band with Carlyn and I, please feel free to do so in our comments section on a Music Featured Entertainment Monday.  I'm always open to listening to new music and discovering new bands I might love.  Of course not everything is going to appeal to everyone (a la my Muse comments from earlier) but I never have any issues giving a band or singer a chance.  Heck, when you listen to Classical Music, Opera, Rock and Roll, Classic Rock, Indie Music, Folk Music and even some Rap and Country Music, I think my likes cover a pretty broad spectrum.  One of the things I really enjoy too about listening to some of the K-pop bands that Carlyn has shared is that it is music I do not typically have exposure to.  I think their are so many talented performers across a variety of musical genres and while it's good to be discerning in musical tastes, I also think it's good to sample a bit of everything.  Who knows?  By sharing music we might not ordinarily get to hear perhaps we'll find our new favorite band or performer? 

1 comment:

  1. I'd never heard of Civil Twilight before.

    Holy Dove- I liked the dancing in the video clip.
    Letters from the sky- Sounded like what would be included in a soundtrack for an action movie.
    River- I liked this one.
    Fire Escape- I liked the chorus to this one.

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...