Monday 20 July 2015

Entertainment Monday: Spy (20 July 2015)


I was eager to watch this film as it looked so fun. I love action comedy spy movies, everything from Johnny English to Jackie Chan movies. I think there are not as many action/comedy movies where a woman is a lead star so I wanted to see what the differences would be.

Spy stars Melissa McCartney as Susan Cooper. She’s a CIA agent who is the dowdy handler for Agent Bradley Fine (Jude Law).  Susan guides Bradley through his mission by providing him information through an ear piece. While on a mission, Bradley gets shot by Rayna Boyanov (Rose Bryne), a woman who is selling a nuclear bomb to the highest bidder. 
source
Susan vows revenge on Rayna and goes on her first mission. Her boss is reluctant to send her as she’s never been on a mission before and the other agents think of her as a joke.
I thought this movie was just as good as any other action/comedy movie. Melissa McCarthy was awesome in the fight sequences. I’m glad that they didn’t speed up the fight scenes and there were no obvious body double switches in the sequences.


I saw her character as the female version of the average Joe. Susan Cooper starts off as a mild mannered, downcast person into a confident bad ass. The situation kind of reminds me about Susan Boyle and how everyone underestimated her at Britain’s Got Talent and she showed off what she could really do.

The other actors in the film were awesome as well. Jason Statham who is known for his action movies plays Rick Ford. Rick is a send up of an action hero, who doesn’t think Susan Cooper is capable of the job and will ruin things. I thought his character was a little annoying but he’s supposed to be that way.



My second favourite character to Susan Cooper was Rayna Boyanov. Rayna is an arrogant gangster aristocrat who says some cruel barbs to Susan. Rose Byrne and Melissa McCartney had such good timing when trading insults.
The film has some nudity and the profanity might be a bit much for some people. I was okay about it and would even watch it with my parents. My friend thought the movie was hysterical but I thought it was a little bit funny. Humor is subjective after all.


I think this movie would be good as a date movie. It’s perfect for when you don’t want to watch a chick flick nor do you want to watch an action movie. I hope they make a sequel.

  Another spy genre review you might enjoy:

1 comment:

  1. I like when actors who are some what pigeon-holed or stereotyped take on a different roll as Jason Statham seems to have done in Spy. Well, I'm not sure that the roll is as much a difference as the genre. I'd have to see it to see how comedic his roll is and how well he performs it. I always like light comedies most any time. I have to be in the right mood for a horror flick.

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...