Monday 21 December 2015

Entertainment Monday: Lady and the Tramp (Monday 21 December, 2015)


Lady and the Tramp was one of the first movies I watched as a child. My grandma owned a copy of the video and every time I went to visit, I would watch the video. My grandma was a teacher aide for a French language pre-school and her copy of the video was in French. I was enthralled by Lady and Tramp despite the language barrier. There was even a time when I thought that Lady and the Tramp was a French film. I decided to rent Lady and the Tramp at the video store as I wanted to see how I’d feel about it as an adult. I also wanted to see what it would be like in English.
source
Lady and Tramp is an animated Disney movie from 1955. It is about a golden cocker spaniel named Lady (Barbara Luddy) who lives with her owners Jim Dear (Lee Millar) and Darling (Peggy Lee). Lady gets confused when her owners have a baby and by all the new changes to her family. Fortunately, Lady has her friends Jock (Bill Thompson) a Scottish terrier and Trusty (Bill Baucom) a bloodhound to help her.
source
Life gets tough for Lady when Jim Dear and Darling go away on a business trip. They leave their baby and Lady with their aunt Sarah (Verna Felton). Aunt Sarah hates dogs and shoos Lady out of the house which is more than she can bear. A mishap results in Lady getting lost in town. She doesn’t know her way back but is befriended by Tramp (Larry Roberts). Tramp is a street dog who takes a liking to Lady.

I have concluded that I am still enchanted with the movie. Lady and the other dogs are so cute. I think it’s the little things that make this movie good. The animators did a good job in capturing the movement of the animals from how their legs move and their facial expressions. 
source
I also liked how Lady’s owners are called Jim Dear and Darling which is what Lady thinks their names are because that’s what she hears. In the film, the faces of Jim Dear and Darling are rarely seen because the story is about the dogs. The world also looks so big from the dog’s perspective.


 I’m also glad that there isn’t any cheesy dog puns.The animation is old school as it was made in the 50s but it has a storybook charm. There is no singing apart from a little ditty that some Siamese cats sing.

Have you revisited any of your childhood favourites?





2 comments:

  1. I know the Siamese Cats song. It was part of the Disney records that originally belonged to Robert and Heather and were later passed on to Clifford and I when we were little.

    I love most of the Disney Movies I've seen and while I have not watched Lady and the Tramp in a long time, after reading your blog entry it would be fun to revisit it again as you did. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do get to revisit some Disney movies. Do you remember waht was your first Disney film?

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...