Monday 25 July 2016

Entertainment Monday: Youth is Wasted on the Young Theme (Monday July 25, 2016)


Entertainment Monday: Youth Theme

For this weeks Entertainment Monday I wanted to explore the theme of Youth by sharing songs about youth and aging or by sharing a song from a band with Youth or Young in their name.  In some cases I double down and share a song that may have Youth or Aging as a theme AND also be sung by a performer or band with Youth or Young in their name.  As a 40 year old in human years, I'm not sure how old that makes me in bear years, I am at what some would consider the top of the hill, just before going over the proverbial hill.  Therefore I wanted to share some songs that celebrate the walk we all must take through life whether we choose to or not.  Perhaps someday soon, even a generation or two from now it will be feasible for people to live for up to 200 years or more.  There are some people who are invested in science who truly believe we are not far off from the ability to extend human life significantly.

The first song I wanted to kick things off with is a song I absolutely love called Mind Over Matter by the band YOUNG THE GIANT!

The song in part celebrates a young man's love and his desire to spend his life with the girl he loves.

Mind Over Matter by Young the Giant


The second song on my list is the classic song Old Man by Neil Young one of greatest song writers of the last several generations. 

Old Man by Neil Young



The next song I am sharing is a song about the fears surrounding the Nuclear Holocaust.  Fears  which were very real during the Cold War between the Soviet Union and the United States.  The Cold War of course ended not long after this early 1980s song by the band Alphaville.  This was something of a popular graduation song for many high schoolers in the 1990s. 

Forever Young by Alphaville


As a kid I was a big fan of Musicals.  My parents often brought my family to the Gateway Playhouse in Bellport, New York on Long Island, and later when the playhouse moved part time to Patchogue, New York, my mom and I would go to see musicals.  I actually never saw the classic musical South Pacific at Gateway Playhouse (at least not so far as I can remember).  I did however get to see it with my good friends Kathy and Henda at Procter's Theatre in Schenectady, NY around 4 or 5 years ago.

Younger Than Springtime is a song sung by Lt. Joseph Cable, an American Soldier serving in the South Pacific during WWII who despite having a girlfriend he is engaged to back home in the United States falls in love with a teenage Polynesian Girl, who is the daughter of Bloody Mary the local Madame.

Younger Than Spring Time as sung by John Kerr from the Rogers and Hammerstein Musical South Pacific 1958 Movie Version



I hope you enjoyed the Youth Themed Entertainment Monday.  If anyone has any suggestions for a music themed Entertainment Monday that they might like to hear, please share your suggestion in our comments section.  If I feel like I can come up with a few good tunes to share around the suggested theme I will be happy to take up the challenge. --- Jon Bear

2 comments:

  1. I am a fan of the song Forever Young. There was a cover made of the song that was used in the tv show The O.C which I really liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to watch the O.C. and I am also familiar with the cover of Alphaville's song, even though I did not remember per se it's use during the O.C..

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...