Tuesday 5 December 2017

You by Caroline Kepnes

source
Joe Goldberg is a hopeless romantic. He meets Guinevere Beck (Beck to her friends), an aspiring writer in the bookstore where he works. They have a flirty conversation and he’s instantly smitten. Joe becomes obsessed with her, stalking her until he feels ready to introduce himself as Beck’s ideal match. Beck has many admirers and Joe eliminates them with no qualms. After growing up with little affection, he craves love and Beck is the girl for him.

One of my guilty pleasures is made for tv movies about obsession. When I heard this book was told from the perspective of the stalker, I had to read this book. I liked Joe and I pitied him. He just wants to be loved but he does terrible things to be loved. I admire his devotion and drive to win over Beck. However, if he were real and I was Beck, I would be terrified of him. Joe has no shame and thinks all his actions are for the greater good. He has a contempt for everyone except Beck.

Beck is not the average girl next door. She seems innocent but she’s actually a seductress who loves to string people along. Beck is a writer who tells half-truths to Joe about her life and her relationship but Joe already know the truth because he stalks her. He’s aware of her flaws and dismisses them preferring to see her as a victim who is being held down by those around her. Joe is her white knight and she’s his princess. He thinks that his life will be better if only they are together.

The book has a lot of sex but I don’t think it’s gratuitous. Joe craves love and intimacy and Beck is a bit of nympho. I found the sex scenes to be depraved rather than titillating. Joe thinks about sex a lot and gets easily aroused.

 I knew that it wasn’t going to end well. I was anticipating the fallout as I read the book. It’s a little sad and horrible but I was expecting it. There’s a sequel to You called Hidden Bodies, where Joe starts his obsession with love all over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...